Revisiting an old project

A few year back, in between having my daughter and becoming pregnant with my son I had this crazy idea that I would make a project "folio style' to one day apply ti fashion school. This turned out to be a big disaster as i was biting off more than I could chew. I have since realised that I will never go to fashion school, the way they want you to work is not the way I like to work would rather be freelance and work for myself than any major label anyway.  Another hiccup (and the biggest one) was cost, I could not afford the garments I had designed. however, through the discovery of upcyling and the sheer desire of having fun driving me (rather than impressing school people) I've decided to take up the project again! My journey so far has been all about clothes that allow me to function as a mum, it's about time I let myself work on something fun with no limitations (other than my own skill limit, of course).

I guess I should probably explain what the project is, I present to you: The Disney Princess Faery Project! I've always been a lover of Disney ever since I can remember, and like most Disney fans, the princess set draws me in. even when I was childless I loved them and watched them on a regular basis, the fact that my daughter now loves them is even better! An old Tafe friend of mine started a Dr Who project where he transformed himself into each Dr in a high fashion interpretation, that is what I want to do, I won't be directly dressing and copying the outfits exactly , but heavily using them as inspiration. I will be drawing inspiration not just from the original cartoons, but also from the tv show once upon a time and the recent live action movies (if that princess has been made into one). At once point I had the idea of using different models, but in the true sense of "work with what you have" (which is my motto at the moment) I will just be using me, it might actually be really interesting to see how much I can "transform myself" or if I'll just look like the same person in a different outfit, either way, we shall see.


The difficulties I will face during this challenge are hair, makeup and photography, as I have limited experience with all of these. I wish I had a friend with a good camera and a flare for photography (like I did back in my school days) or a model to use. I actually prefer to be behind the camera, but i will work with what I have, and I have myself.

One of the first princess I will be doing is Snow White, as she was the one I was working on way back when so I already have designs and the materials I could afford, I will be pulling pictures and designs from my old blog to show you, but will also be adding new elements since I am now doing it "up cycle style". I still haven't decided how far I'll go in terms of details and such, especially since I don't have to money for a proper photographer and I don't want this to be a "one outfit a year" deal taking 12+ years! But i may learn how to make wings just to add an extra "faery feel". I am also working on Aurora from sleeping beauty as I have a design in mind and the materials I need for it.


The Snow White Designs I came up with
I really hope that this time I actually succeed, it is a huge task (so. many. princesses) but I think I can do it now that I have a bigger following and skills behind me. I even get the feeling that my daughter will be joining me in simpler costumes (as in tutus) I hope you are all as excited about this as i am! Looking forward to getting started.

Until next time!
-Sami




Comments

  1. Sounds like a great project! Maybe you could try and find some learning photographer and makeup artist and collaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will probably be my best option! I'm just shy at asking

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mumtum Skirt- Queen the Label

Autumn Wear